Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Christmas: The Great Delay


Do you ever look back at a week and thing, "Wow, that was rotten." Then think about your month, and think something remarkably similar? October kind of felt that way. November got a little better; which meant December was pretty fun. I love having my whole family together. I may complain and poke fun at our Christmas morning traditions, but secretly I don't mind. It's all part of the drama. (Just in case you don't know, we are not allowed down stairs until given permission by the Grand Po-Ba of Christmas, Dad himself. Presents must be arranged in an aesthetically pleasing manner. Christmas casserole must already be in the oven. Showers taken, hair fixed - this requirement may have evolved after a few years of unattractive photos...lol. ) Jenna made Dad promise this year that everything, and I mean EVERYTHING would be ready by 8am on the dot.

Hilariously, this year was the year that Conner decided not to wake up until 7:30am, delaying Kristen, Adam, and Connor's arrival until close to 9:00. Normally he's a spot on alarm clock for 6 am. I don't blame them at all. It actually gave me a chance to remember some of my "6 year old, itchy feet, can't wait! can't wait!" feelings of Christmas mornings past. This year was a year of pretty, useful things I really wanted. (Can you tell I still haven't gotten over some of the 6 year old habits of giving people a list of the stuff I got?) I got a leather ottoman the size of a coffee table that I've been looking at for 3 years. I love it! As well as a vacuum, a standing mixer, and a really pretty mirrored wooden advent calender. I tried to talk the Santa's into smaller Christmas' this year since my driver's license says I'm not 6 anymore, but apparently they weren't having it. It was a lot of fun. I hope you got to spend time with people you like and love too.

3 comments:

Kristen said...

I did. It was you!!
Sorry about the Christmas morning delay...I'm sure in a year or two he'll be up bright and early at 4am just like every other kid. ;)

The Welborn Family said...

I love your 6 year old list and I love the comment about being dressed and hair fixed because of bad pictures! Really makes me miss Christmas with my family. It's been 13 years since I had Christmas with them! Glad you got everything you wanted and got to spend time with your family. Love you 'til Bear Mtn. has cubs! Oh, P.S. My hubby is Ben, Jess' is Gary. :*

Traci said...

Teehee I am the same way at Christmas! AND! We just got a sweet black leather ottoman too! They are wonderful! We have all of our games in there :)