Tuesday, June 2, 2009

My Movie Watching Mantra


Ok, so last month I watched the movie 'Seven Pounds' and just sat there for 3 minutes when it was over, with tears rolling down my face. I hate crying over movies. HATE IT. Life has enough unfun moments not to pay to cry other fictional people's unfun moments. No paying to cry! Nope. Dont' wanna.
Situational Comedies make me cringe, I hate watching people be embarrassed, let alone watch when you were told its going to happen right there on the outside of the box. Romantic Comedies make me grind my teeth (....mainly because I don't have enough in my own life...cue teeth grinding). I unabashedly tend to stick strickly to the action genre. It's relatively safe. Yes, I am the target audience of very big budget, all fluff and guts, no plot, action movie each summer. I can admit to having seem just about every 'car movie' and number quite a few in my all time favorites. Fast & the Furious, Gone in 60 seconds, The Italian Job, Transformers (still a car movie under the sci fi), et cetre, et cetre... I like them. I watch them all on my lonesome without a the influence of a male..cough.. friend helping me choose. I'm not looking for a cathartic 'get into my head' experience. I want out of it, my head that is, like its on fire! Just let me not think, have a fictional problem to resolve in under 2 hours, and have a concrete resolution, often with the good guys winning.

Sigh...Vehicle blowing up make my punctured tires on the interstate look like cake walks. Maybe that's what I'm doing. Buildings exploding Die Hard style just make my 'need to replace the siding over the loading dock door' problems look small. Perfect! I am checking the box labeled 'Rationalization' with gusto! (grin) I was listening to a speaker last week in church who read a quote discussing the dumbing down of society through the numbing influence of media and the weakening of the fibers of our moral code'....He's right by the way. It does. This is not advocation, its more like a mantra. I refuse to pay to cry. Nough said. :)

1 comment:

Kristen said...

I rented Seven Pounds, too. I thought it was a fun Will Smith action/drama. Soooooo wrong. I cried for an hour...because these days if I cry over anything I can't make it stop. Finally I loaded Connor in the car and drove him to this Wildlife Park in Frankfort. He kept looking at my tears and asking if the firemen were coming. (see my blog for that story) ;)