Monday, April 27, 2009

Derby City Roller Girls



You know, every once in a while its kind of nice to see some girls you wouldn't want to meet in a dark alley. My friend Heather and I end to see the Derby City Roller Girls this weekend for a bout against the Bleeding Heartland. I've wanted to go ever since I found out we have a team three years ago. It was so fun! I had to reread the rules 20 times and I still wasn't quite sure how you scored each jam session, but it was seriously fun to watch. With team member names like Olivia Hurtin', Mel O'Drama, Celia Graves, and Carrie A. Glock it was a riot. Unfortunely the home team was down by 35 point and when it slipped to 50 points it honestly looked like they just decided to get even if they couldn't win. Suddenly 3 out of a team of 5 are in the penalty box every 3 minutes, leaving only 2 on the floor. A skater falls and stretches out wide for no other reason than to be a tripping hazard for the four people behind her. I would totally go see them again! Probably more than a third of the crowd was family and friends which made it even better. The crowd was totally into it. Family members had team jerseys with names like 'Papa Glock' on the back and 'Sweet Momma's Momma'. Ya, its been a while since I've seen that many tats on display in one place, and ya, I now know where the common Louisvillian lesbian now hangs out one night of the month, but it was really fun to watch. :)

No comments: